Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lighting Up


You crouched close to show me your technique
and I was thrilling at our night of debauchery
and your pursed lips.

We laughed around mouthfuls of smoke.

Frustrated matches flamed out from between my cold novice fingers,
scattering onto the concrete like wasted snowflakes
that no child tried to catch on his tongue.

Finally, you pulled me over to crouch behind a truck,
my hands triangling and yours
lifted close to help. We lit up.

You suggested we walk because I was cold,
the suggestion helping more than the action.
Words dripped like ashes and left meaning glowing and protected like the cherry.
I didn’t like you much at the beginning of the night,
but once the cigar freed your tongue
you dropped bits of truth into the air
and that I liked.

Our group wandered the parking lot like vagrants,
worrying the ladies closing up shop
with little more than our presence
and slanted laughter.

The nicotine stung my lips for hours later
reminding them of the touch
of the cigar
and the smoke settled into my clothes to mark
the night on me. 

rkb

1 comment: