Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Gender Relations-- i.e. Why I'm Not Having Sex

Let me be a little (post)modern here and say something that will not be connected with the rest of my post, or at least as far as I know from what I know about it so far. I have something akin to strep throat right now. It's probably not, because I went to the Medcheck this morning, and the nurse told me everything was not strep throat. She did however look unsure about that upon seeing my germ riddled (virus riddled?) innards, so she gave me the antibiotics anyway. Hence, I'm at home, doing nothing after calling into work. I mean, I can't just go out into the work place with my throat reminding me of sandpaper every time I swallow... or breathe... or move my tongue for whatever reason.

I guess that above paragraph can serve an example of how I don't have a social life. It's not really surprising, seeing as I didn't really have one in college. Or at least not one that you think of when you think of college. I called in sick and have done nothing but go to lunch, get soup, watch the pets and house, and play Mad Men on Netflicks.


...you're welcome

Like Rebekah, I too feel guilty about not having a social life. I keep telling myself baby-steps are enough to get my life to "adult status," whatever that means. One of my goals is to find a nice little social group at a local church, but that means I have to find a new church, make sure that's the right one, test drive that bible study, and then commit. That's like a month long timeline here.

But I'm not one to rush into things. Though I don't fill my life with pros and cons lists, I research even the make up I buy to make sure it has enough five star ratings. But you can't just look up a social life online to research the best people to spend your time with. Well, I guess you can, but I think that's what rapists do on Craigslist.

On a bigger scale, I guess that social life thing will lead me to the fabled "boyfriend." That means that in maybe... three years I'll meet a boy and then see where I go from there.

The boyfriend conundrum (as described by my co-blogger) doesn't fill me with rage, so much as the question, "What did I do wrong?" or the "Where the hell is he already?" I don't frequent Facebook much anymore, and that's only because I don't like being blindsided with people's happiness. Look at all these kids getting married! Good Christian kids! I guess I didn't read the chapter of Matthew where Jesus said it would be an unknown rule that marriage should happen between the twenty-first and twenty-third year of your life. Maybe I should have taken a class at Taylor about finding a mate, or how to find one, or how to at least appear more enticing.

Sorry bro.

I've had two boyfriends in my life. Three if you count the one in middle school. They were all long relationships. But nothing really in college. No one I've met outside of high school. And I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Is it this way for everyone? Am I that much of a loser? Or should I care at all?

If the right man is out there, he'll show up. But will be I in the right place to meet him? God'll give you the boat, but you have to row yourself to shore. But which way is the shore?

All this sad-sackery aside, I wouldn't date the first schmo to come along and ask. I'm not desperate. But I feel as if I should be.

Where did that come from?

M&y

No comments:

Post a Comment